Darren Ross and his team spent a full 12-hour day on site this Saturday, clearing off the overburden from last year and extending the area to the south. This year we're focusing on "Area 1" with the extensive walls revealed in sub-trenches last year. Already, there are substantial new walls appearing and the team is getting excited about learning more about this early Cromarty settlement.
What to expect this year:
- The project is open to all volunteers, age 6 and above, and there is no requirement to dig! We have lots of ways for volunteers to get involved.
- This year we will be running a programme of activities tailored for children and led by an archaeologist dedicated to working with young people.
- Specialist visits - Five archaeological specialists will be visiting this year to provide on-site training in idenification of ceramics, glass, animal bone and stone artefacts.
- Training - if you're new to digging, we will start you out with an archaeologist to explain basic techiques in troweling and recording.
- End-of-dig BBQ - 2nd of August with food and live music from local musicians
Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to come along or just stop by for a visit and a tour!
2014 Dig Site - After topsoil clearance (photo by Garry Mackay)